Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Be Valuable

I was asked today to help solve a problem for a competitor at one of my major customers. The basics of the issue is that my competitor is having problems decorating a part. Our mutual client asked me to provide some help as I have an expertise in plastic and this is a plastic part. While I won't get into the problem in more detail than explained, the thought that this brings up is where to draw a line, and how to build value, both personally and for your company. For my part, I agreed to help my competitor. My help could result in solving a problem for my customer, who is my ultimate concern. Sure, it may have been better for me to play dumb and offer no assistance to help fix their problem. I could have just allowed my competitor to flounder with the problem, miss deliveries, and pursue their business, but I am not sure who this would ultimately hurt other than my customer.

Upon my agreement to help, my customer stressed the value that this brings to our relationship in that they were able to call on me for help with this. It was clear that our competitor was beyond their skill set with this problem, and as we will be able to help in the solution, opportunity for future projects requiring such expertise will potentially lean more in our direction than our competitors.

This was an opportunity seize value, and cement value for our company in my customers mind. I saw this opportunity when the conversation began, and didn't intend on letting it pass. Whenever possible it is important to seize opportunities to bring value to a business relationship. This will not only solidify your relationship, but also position you away from a cost cutting competitive situation that many others get caught in. When you bring true value and offer it generously, you receive reward commensurate with your generosity. I've tried it both ways, many times feeling that I needed to hold everything tight to me, and share very little, because the more only I knew the more valuable I was. I have learned that this does nothing other than give you a headache, and a completely false sense of security. If the information you have and hold to yourself helps no one, then you are bringing no value, and you therefore lack value. When you share of yourself generously, you bring value to a situation and generate value, both perceived and real, in yourself.

I almost feel like a cliche with the fact that I have only realized this truth after reaching my late 30's. When I was younger, I would argue with my Dad when he was too generous with information he shared with customers. I thought there was more value in keeping it all secret and to ourselves, dolling it out as needed. Now, I find myself writing about the value of sharing what you know generously, having realized that this approach is what creates true value in you and your company.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo. These views are a tribute to the man you have become.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © If It Was Easy Anyone Could Do It | Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates